Vancouver, B.C.: CCP Exports Its Crimes Abroad ..photo of Ms. Lu Qun protests in front of Chinese Consulate
The Chinese Communist Party has been persecuting Falun Gong practitioners for 12 years, since July 20, 1999.
The Communist Party’s atrocities have been exposed, and the international community has condemned the crimes. The Party has also spread lies abroad and interfered with many Falun Gong events. Chinese consulates have refused to renew passports for Falun Gong practitioners, blocked them and their families from visiting their hometowns in China, and even threatened overseas
practitioners’ relatives living in China. However, all of these tactics only serve to expose the Party’s unscrupulous nature.
The following is a list of a few cases of harassment and persecution of Vancouver practitioners.
Denying passport renewal
When Falun Gong practitioners’ passports expire, the Chinese consulate refuses to renew them, leaving them without any citizenship. This was the recent experience of two Vancouver practitioners.
Ms. Lu Qun’s passport expired on April 19, 2011, and she applied for renewal on February 9. She inquired in person on April 6 and was told she would receive a reply later that afternoon, but did not get any response. She returned to the consulate on April 19. An official requested a private meeting with her, during which he clearly told her, “I can renew your passport, but we hope you will stop protesting in front of the Chinese Consulate.” Lu Qun answered, “If the persecution doesn’t end, the protest will not end, either.” She was stripped of her citizenship.
Ms. Dong had lived in Singapore for 14 years and she applied for a new passport at the Chinese Consulate in Singapore on June 19, 2009. After over a year, she still didn’t get her new passport. She then decided to try the consulate in Vancouver. She traveled to Vancouver on August 24, 2010, submitted an application on August 30, 2010 and was told to pick up her passport on November 1. On September 8, however, an official called her at 11 a.m. and said her passport could not be renewed. She asked why and the official said, “No reason.”
Pro-CCP dignitaries intervene with protest
Vancouver practitioners started around-the-clock protests in front of the Chinese Consulate in August 2001, which had a huge impact. Many local people learned about the persecution through these practitioners, which made the protest site a sore spot for the CCP.
On June 9, 2006, the Vancouver Courier reported that the former mayor of Vancouver, Li Jian Bao, met with two Consular Generals to discuss the protest structures in front of the Consulate. He believed that Canada is a country that values freedom of speech and belief, so he refused to take action against the protesters.
However, the situation changed when Sam Sullivan was elected mayor of Vancouver in November 2005.
On August 11, 2006, Sullivan applied to the B.C. Supreme Court, based on the city's traffic regulations, to demand that the court issue an injunction, ordering the practitioners to remove their protest boards and their small blue hut on Granville Street, which had been there for more than five years.
The practitioners appealed the court's decision. In January 2009, the B.C. Supreme Court granted the city of Vancouver an injunction to remove the structures outside the Consulate, and the practitioners did so. But then they appealed again and continued to protest in front of the Consulate with informational banners. On October 19, 2010, the B.C. Court of Appeals ruled that Falun Gong practitioners had won the legal battle.
Former Vancouver city councilor Tim Louis said: "It's not a secret that the communist regime had been pressuring the city of Vancouver and told them to stop Falun Gong practitioners' protest in front of the consulate."
When asked by the lawyer, Sullivan denied having any contact with the Chinese Consulate before he made the decision to dismantle the protest billboards and the blue hut. Later on, when he was asked again, he said after he sent the application to the court he was invited to a private dinner by Yang Qiang held at the ex-Consular General's residence, where Sullivan provided the latest information regarding the protest site. He told Yang that he had submitted an application to the B.C. Supreme Court, and the results would come out soon.
The communist regime put much effort into stroking Sullivan. The regime's newspapers have published several articles speaking highly of him. The Vancouver Sun published an interview with Sullivan in which he said, "During my visit in China, they welcomed me with a red carpet and treated me like an emperor. It's a pity that Vancouver doesn't have such a large budget so that I could pay them back."
Before Yang left his post he held a press conference. When asked by a reporter whether he had any regrets during his office, Yang publicly admitted that he had urged the city of Vancouver to remove the protest site outside the Consulate many times but didn't succeed.
On April 7, the city government proposed a new